Monday, September 3, 2012

Do you know what it means to miss New Orleans

I had the urge to hear this song as it was originally done by Billy Holiday and Louis Armstrong.

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xhkxy3ei8os&feature=player_detailpage

I'm waiting to hear from New Orleans about my audition



 So I find this clip on YouTube and it says it comes from a movie done in 1947 called "New Orleans".  The clip starts and interspersed with what is glorious music from the mouths of Ms. Day and Master Satchmo are these white folk.  Now don't get me wrong.  White folk are OK.  I happen to be one of them.  It's just that, in order to give these 2 stars a chance to be seen and heard by mainstream audiences, they had to be enveloped by a "white" plot.  It just shows how frightened people can be.  And how they still are. 

Watching the Republican National Convention just emphasized how "other" I am.  If you're not lily white and are willing to close the door on anyone not like you, then you can belong.  And it worries me how many people are with them.  Their fear is palpable.  As is their hatred.   I guess bringing up Third Reich analogies is cliche, but ...

And I worry that my friends are afraid to speak out because it may alienate other friends.  If someone is willing to proclaim you an "other" because you will not tolerate their hatred, are they really a friend ?

No comments:

Post a Comment